Top 6 Support Services For International Students In Australia

(2212 Votes, Average 4.2 out of 5)

International students want to know about all the support services available in Australia if they need help.


Moving to a new place as an international student is exciting but can also be overwhelming. No need to stress, though!


Australia has great support services for international students offered by schools and different organisations.


This post'll discuss the help available for international students in Australia.



1. Counselling and Support Services


In Australia, various government and non-government agencies offer free counselling and support services, covering areas such as relationships, crisis intervention, mental health, domestic violence, and suicide prevention.


International students can access these services through phone calls, emails, web chats, online forums, and other information sources while remaining anonymous.


Here are some key support services available:


  1. Lifeline: Providing 24/7 suicide prevention and crisis support, Lifeline can be reached at 13 11 14. Additional information is available on the Lifeline website.

  2. International Student Hotline: For safety, study, work, or accommodation issues, international students can call 1300 363 079. Operated by the federal Department of Education in Australia, this helpline allows callers to remain anonymous.

  3. Beyond Blue: Offering 24-hour support for mental health issues like depression, anxiety, and suicide, Beyond Blue can be contacted via email, web chat, online forum at the Beyond Blue website, or by calling 1300 22 4636.

  4. Kids Helpline: For students between 5 and 25 years old with personal relationships or study-related concerns, this helpline can be reached at 1800 551 800 or through the Kids Helpline website.

  5. Sexual Assault Counselling Service: Available 24/7 for those who have experienced sexual assault, this service allows callers to remain anonymous. Contact one state-based sexual assault counselling service or search online for a 'rape crisis centre' in your state.

  6. Poison Information Centre: Providing guidance on poisonous products, this support centre is accessible at 131 126 for immediate assistance.


Remember, in emergencies like fires, car crashes, or life-threatening situations, dial Triple Zero (000).



2. Overseas Students Ombudsman


The Overseas Students Ombudsman (OSO), backed by the Australian government, is here to address complaints from international students about their schools, colleges or universities. Best part? It's totally free and fair.


OSO looks into issues like:


  • Not getting into a course

  • Enrollment cancellation

  • Problems with attendance or course progress

  • Issues with fees and refunds

  • Transferring courses or providers

  • Bad advice from an education agent

  • Work or housing arranged by your school


Check out the Ombudsman website to learn how they can help you. It's a great resource for understanding what to do if you're having problems with your education provider.



3. Tuition Protection Service


If your school can't deliver your course, don't worry!


The Australian government has your back with the Tuition Protection Service (TPS). They make sure you can switch to another course in the same school or a different one.


And if you haven't used all your tuition fees, you can even get a refund. Check out the TPS website for more info.



4. Student Associations


If you're an international student in Australia, there are groups ready to support you:


  • Australian Federation of International Students (AFIS): They're here to make your living and studying experience in Australia the best possible.


  • Council of International Students Australia (CISA): Whether in undergrad, postgrad, or private college, ELICOS, or TAFE, CISA represents you nationally.


These groups want to ensure you have the best time studying in Australia, offering support and making your voice heard.



5. Institution Support Services


Your university supports you with excellent support services:


  1. Orientation Programs: Get ready for a warm welcome! Before the semester starts, there's an orientation program with campus and library tours, info sessions, social activities, and even meetings with student reps and university staff.

  2. Counselling Services: Feeling overwhelmed? Don't worry! Many Aussie universities have expert counselors to guide you through personal, academic, and social stuff. From culture shock to family problems, they've got your back.

  3. Academic and English Support: If you need help with academics or English, your university is there for you. Workshops and one-on-one tutoring are on offer. Plus, there are groups to practice English and connect with fellow students.

  4. Career Services: Thinking about your future? Most Aussie schools help international students with career advice, job hunting in Australia or elsewhere, building resumes, and nailing those interviews.


Your university is not just about classes—it's a place that wants to see you succeed and feel at home.



6. Other Institution Support Services 


Australian institutions might provide additional services such as:


  • Disability Support 

  • Childcare

  • International student advisers

  • Student Accommodation

  • Financial and scholarship support

  • Health and well-being services

  • Fitness and support facilities

  • Security and safety advice

  • Student Associations


Contact them directly or visit their website to learn more about what services your institution provides.  


Useful Topics to Explore:

⇒ Australian Qualification Framework (AQF)
⇒ What does it cost to study in Australia?
⇒ Courses that can lead to PR in Australia
⇒ Applying to Study in Australia: Student Timeline
⇒ Driving in Australia as an International Student
⇒ Cultural Differences You May Experience in Australia
⇒ International Students in Australia
⇒ Australia Compared     

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Please Subscribe to our Newsletter