Driving A Car In Australia For International Students: Explained

(677 Votes, Average 4.7 out of 5)

International students want to know what they must be careful about when driving and purchasing a car in Australia.


Students studying in Australia can own a car, making navigating easier, especially in remote locations without reliable public transportation.


Owning a car opens up opportunities to explore the country's scenic spots. While purchasing a car isn't a must, it's a viable choice.


This blog helps you to understand driver's licenses, insurance, and car maintenance in Australia.



1. Driver Licences 


To operate a vehicle in Australia, international students must possess a valid driver's license, which is required to be carried at all times while driving.


International students are temporary residents in Australia, meaning their home country's driver's licence requires approval from the local transport authority. If your licence is not in English, obtaining a certified translation or an international driving permit from your home country is necessary.


Alternatively, you can apply for one in Australia if you don't possess a driver's licence. This involves contacting your local territory or state's motor registry and undergoing required tests.


An Australian driver's licence comes with additional advantages. It is a primary identification document nationwide and can enhance employment prospects, as specific jobs require a valid driver's licence.


Having an Australian driver's licence allows you to travel anywhere, anytime.



2. Driving In Australia


Driving is a little tricky for international students in Australia as they need to know the basic road rules of the country.


Here are some road rules that you should follow to avoid penalties and accidents in Australia:


  • Drive on the left-hand side of the road.

  • Always carry your driving licence.

  • The driver, including the passengers, needs to wear safety belts in the car.

  • Littering and throwing anything out of your vehicle is strictly prohibited.

  • Be cautious of speed limits, and make sure to follow them.

  • Never use a mobile phone while driving.

  • Kids younger than seven years must be seated in their car seats.

  • Last but not least, don't drink and drive.


To drive in Australia, you need to abide by these rules. If caught violating any of the rules, you can expect to be fined heavily and, in some cases, even face criminal charges. Australia has very high fines, so you must obey these rules.  


Consider other things while driving in Australia. The Central Business Districts (CBDs) face heavy traffic and are typically congested, so avoid driving in such areas. 


There are tollways in cities like SydneyBrisbane and Melbourne. You can pay tolls using an e-Tag when driving in your car. (electronic toll collection system).



3. Purchasing A Car


Buying, running and maintaining a car in Australia can be expensive for international students. Owning a car in cities like Brisbane, Sydney, or Melbourne is unnecessary as you can access public transport in Australia, making it easy to travel around. 


Purchasing a car in Australia also means you have to look after other things like registration, servicing, insurance, repairs and petrol, which all come at a cost.


According to research conducted by RACV in 2020, the average cost to own, run and maintain a car in Australia is around AUD $10,894 per year and AUD$209.50 per week.



4. Insurances


You must get car insurance to cover the costs due to road accidents that may damage your and other parties' car or cause any injury.


Here are a few types of car insurance that you can take in Australia:


  • Compulsory third-party insurance

  • Comprehensive insurance

  • Third-party property, theft and fire insurance

  • Third-party property insurance


Most states in Australia include compulsory third-party insurance in your registration fees. Third-party property insurance and comprehensive insurance are optional in Australia. 


Now let's see what all these insurances cover and do not cover:


Tpes Of Insurances Covers Not Covers

Compulsory Third Party

  • Injuries or deaths in an accident
  • Damage to your car
  • Damage to other party’s car
  • Damage or loss by theft


  • Damage to your car
  • Damage to other party’s car
  • Damage or loss by theft
  • Injuries or deaths in an accident

Third party property, theft and fire insurance

  • Damage to your car
  • Damage to other party’s car
  • Damage or loss by theft
  • Injuries or deaths in an accident

Third party property insurance

  • Damage to other party’s car
  • Damage to your car
  • Damage or loss by theft
  • Injuries or deaths in an accident


You can choose from a variety of insurance companies in Australia. You should thoroughly research your options to get the highest level of coverage at a low cost.



5. State Authorities For Driver Licensing


Each territory and state in Australia has its own set of regulations related to licensing. To find the details of the motor authority in a particular state of Australia, check the following links:


Note: If you get Australian permanent residency, you must obtain a driving licence within the first six months of getting PR. If you fail, you’ll be forbidden to drive in Australia on an overseas licence.


Useful Links to Explore:

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Please Subscribe to our Newsletter