How To Get Permanent Residency (PR) in Australia?


An international student is sitting on the beach and dreaming about how to get permanent residency (PR) in Australia on a student visa.


Did you know every year, more than half-a-million students move to Australia? 


Migrating to Australia is among the most attractive options for many, including international students. UK, South Africa, and Southeast Asia students migrate to Australia to study at top Australian universities.


If you are also planning to relocate to Australia for further studies, then applying for a Student Visa is essential. This guide will help you understand the process of migrating to Australia step by step.



1. What Is The Australian Migrating Program?


The Migrating Australian program is for everyone. It does not discriminate based on gender, ethnic origin, religion, or colour.


Suppose you are a non-resident individual who would like an opportunity to reside, study and work in Australia. In that case, you’ll be surprised to know that many visa options are available, such as a skilled visa, a sponsored work visa, a business visa, and a student visa.


You can find an appropriate Australian visa that meets your needs with the Visa Finder of the Department of Home Affairs.



2. What Is A Permanent Resident (PR)?


A permanent resident of Australia has many entitlements and rights of a citizen, but there are a few differences - A citizen can enter and leave Australia anytime. However, if PR citizens choose to travel overseas, they must ensure that they have a permanent visa with a valid travel authority.


Citizens can also vote in Australian Government elections, but PR visa holders cannot. The government agency gives eligibility for Australian services and benefits for both citizens and non-citizens.



3. Migrating To Australia Through The SkillSelect Migration Program


Many international students want to apply for permanent residency in Australia after completing their studies. These students choose to migrate to Australia through the SkillSelect migration program. 


So, let’s understand what the SkillSelect migration program is and how it can help you to become a permanent resident in Australia.



4. What Is SkillSelect?


SkillSelect is an online government system that enables aspiring migrants to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI). An EOI is not a visa application. It is proof that you want to be considered for a skilled visa to migrate to Australia. 


With the help of SkillSelect, you can either be invited by the Australian government to submit a visa application or nominated for a skilled visa by various Australian employers or state governments. SkillSelect simplifies the visa application process and improves skilled migrants' employment prospects.



5. What Are The Most Popular Australian PR Visa Options For International Students?


The Work-stream Permanent Residence Visas are the most popular options for international students. This visa category is for people with the skills Australia requires or those seeking sponsorship from an Australian employer to work in Australia. 


International students can apply for any one of the following permanent visa options under this workstream:


  • Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa: This visa is a point-tested visa that does not require any territory or State nomination. If you are an international student who graduated from Australia and any employer or relative does not sponsor you, you can apply for the Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189).



  • Subclass 491 Skilled Regional Visa: To be eligible for this visa, you must get a sponsorship, fulfil skill requirements, or receive a nomination from an Australian region, state, or territory. 



6. The Skilled Independent Visa Points Test


The visa applicants must pass the point test mark to get permanent residency in Australia. The minimum number of points needed to receive an invitation for the Skilled Independent Visa application is 65.


However, the minimum points to receive an invitation depend on your chosen occupation. Some professions on the skilled occupation list are more competitive than others. Usually, it is easier to receive an invitation for PR with an occupation in very high demand where not many people have the qualifications and skills needed.


The Skilled Visa Applicants may score points according to the following criteria:



  • Age (between 18 years to 45 years)

  • English Language Proficiency

  • Educational qualification level (for example, diploma, bachelor's degree, master's degree or doctorate).

  • Overseas or Australian skilled employment experience in a nominated skilled occupation or closely associated field. 

  • It is mandatory to complete a two or more years course in Australia.

  • Living and studying in regional Australia 

  • Certification in one of the community languages in Australia.

  • Completing a government-authorized Professional Year Program (PYP) in Australia.


The total points determine your eligibility for PR. Remember, the higher you score, the better your chances of being invited to apply for PR.


Category Maximum Points
Age (25 to 33 years) 30 points
Education Outside Australia (Doctorate Degree) 20 points
Work Experience in Australia (8 to 10 years) 20 points
English Proficiency (8 bands) 20 points
Work Experience Outside Australia (8 to 10 years) 15 points
De facto partner, applicants without a spouse or a spouse who is an Australian citizen or PR holder 10 points
Skilled spouse or de facto partner (skills, age, and English language requirements need to be met). 10 points
Niche skills, such as a Masters degree by research or a Doctorate from an Australian educational institution 10 points
Accredited in community language 5 points
State sponsorship (190 visa) 5 points
Study in a regional area 5 points
Spouse or de facto partner with competent English (skills or age factor not required) 5 points
Professional year in a skilled program in Australia 5 points



7. Eligibility Criteria To Apply For A Skilled Independent Visa



  • You need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect and wait until you receive an invitation to apply for the visa.


  • When invited to apply for the visa, your age must be under 45. 



  • You need to nominate a skilled occupation based on your qualifications and skills. The occupation you choose must be listed on the Skilled Occupation List. You must also get an appropriate skills assessment for your nominated occupation before creating an EOI.


  • You must also provide a valid English test to demonstrate your proficiency in English.


  • Once you receive an invitation for the visa, you need to prove that you are of good character. You must sign an Australian values statement and submit police certificates, qualification evidence, skills assessment, and other essential documents.


For more information on different permanent residency visa options, visit the Department of Home Affairs website in the SkillSelect section.



8. How To Apply For A Skilled Independent Visa?


If you are planning to apply for a Skilled Independent Visa, then you need to take the following steps:


  • Prepare all information and arrange supporting documents such as English language test results and skills assessments. 

  • Check if your occupation is listed on the Skilled Occupation List.

  • Confirm that you meet the basic requirements and score the minimum point test mark. 

  • Submit the EOI for the Subclass 189 Visa online through the SkillSelect website. 


After completing the EOI process, the system will give results or score points based on your claims. SkillSelect will further process your claims, and then if you are invited to apply for the visa, you’ll receive an invitation from SkillSelect. 


You’ll get around 60 days to create a valid visa application online. After 60 days, the invitation will expire. It’s essential to keep in mind that not everyone who submits an EOI will receive an invitation to apply for the Skilled Independent Visa. 


Your Expression of Interest will stay in the SkillSelect database for two years. In that period, you can update your EOS and make any changes - for instance, adding qualifications, work experience, or another English test to gain more points to support your application.



9. Skilled Independent Visa Cost


The cost for the Skilled Independent Visa 189 application starts at AUD 4,240. Additional charges apply to those visa applicants who want to bring their family along to live in Australia. 


Other costs may be associated with the Skilled Independent Visa, such as the police certificate, medical examinations, skills assessments, translated documents and certification, and English language tests


There is also a different visa option, similar to the skilled independent visa 189, the Skilled Nominated Visa 190, which can bring you the same results through state sponsorship. When a state in Australia is willing to sponsor you, this visa allows you to gain an additional five points. You can select this type of visa on SkillSelect before submitting your EOS.


Note: fees are subject to change at any time. To stay updated, visit the SkillSelect website.



10. The Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 190 Visa


Subclass 190 visa is particularly for aspiring individuals with the skills required in specific territories or states of the country. Applicants under this visa must be able to meet a point score of 65 points or more. One of the most significant advantages of applying for the Subclass 190 visa is that it gets processed quickly.


The subclass 190 visa is points-based, allowing skilled employees nominated by an Australian territory or state to live and work in Australia. This visa is for skilled tradespeople and experts in high-demand occupations in Australia’s labour market.



Eligibility Criteria To Apply For The Subclass 190 Visa



  • Your age must be between 18 and 45 years.

  • After submitting the EOI, you must be nominated or sponsored by an Australian territory or state.

  • You must have experience in one of the nominated occupations listed under Australia’s Skilled Occupation List.

  • You must score a minimum of 65 points on the points test.

  • You must fulfil the basic requirements for Skilled Migration, which include health, English language proficiency, and character checks.

  • You need to complete the skills assessment with the relevant assessing authority for the occupation chosen by you.



Benefits of Applying For The Subclass 190 Visa


Subclass 190 is a permanent visa that lets you stay in Australia for an unlimited time. However, with this visa, you can travel in and out of Australia as often as you like, but only five years from the date the permit is issued. 


After five years, you will require an RRV (Resident Return Visa) to re-enter or return to Australia as a permanent resident.


The Subclass 190 visa allows you to do the following:


  • Apply for Australian Citizenship

  • Work and study in Australia without any restrictions.

  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent or temporary visas. 

  • Subscribe to the universal healthcare scheme of Australia.

  • Stay in Australia for an indefinite period.


This visa has obligations, such as the need to live in a nominated territory or state for at least two years. After two years, you can apply for a status change and work or live anywhere in Australia.


11. General Eligibility Requirements To Get PR In Australia


You can apply for PR under several visa categories with different eligibility criteria. However, some standard eligibility requirements are as follows:


  • Age: You must be under 45 when applying for Australian PR.


  • Skilled Occupation List: Your occupation must be listed on the skilled occupation lists (Short-term Skilled Occupation List, Medium- and Long-term Strategic Skills List, and Regional Occupations List). These lists contain occupations that are currently being accepted for migrating to Australia. The professions on the list are revised periodically to demonstrate modifications in the Australian labour market.




12. How Long Does It Take To Get Your PR Visa Processed?


PR visa processing can be divided into different stages. The processing time for each step may differ due to vast differences in structure.


Here is the complete analysis of the time taken at each stage:


  • Skill Assessment: This process is done through an appointed skill assessment authority. You might get a faster response from them depending on how quickly you send your documents. Generally, it takes around 45 to 60 days for the assessment to complete.


  • EOI (Expression of Interest): The EOI processing time entirely depends on your eligibility score. Remember, if you have a higher score, you will have a better chance of getting an ITA (Invitation to Apply).


  • Character and Medical Certificates: These documents may take some time to process. Therefore, as soon as you receive the ITA, make sure to put in all your efforts to acquire these certificates so that there is no delay in your visa approval submission.


  • Visa Approval: The Australian Department of Home Affairs will thoroughly review your profile when you've submitted all the required documents. They will grant you a visa if you are satisfied with your profile. This process may take around three to five months.


  • Preparation for Departure: You must move to Australia within six months after getting your visa.


Note: The total PR visa processing time depends on the time taken to complete each stage.



13. Gaining Permanent Residency With The Temporary Graduate Visa


You can also apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 to obtain a permanent residency later. This visa enables eligible international students to temporarily live and work in Australia after completing their two-year studies.


Suppose you cannot fulfil the Skilled Independent Visa requirements. In that case, a Temporary Graduate Visa offers an excellent opportunity to stay in Australia to improve your English Language ability or gather professional work experience. This can improve your chances of gaining permanent residency after some time has passed.


When applying for the Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485, you need to consider the following points:


  • The visa applicant needs to have completed a course with a minimum duration of two years in Australia.

  • Two work streams are associated with the Temporary Graduate Visa - The Post-Study Work Stream and the Graduate Work Stream. 

  • Visa applications are submitted directly through the DIBP.


For more information on the Temporary Graduate Visa, visit the Department of Home Affairs.



14. Other Permanent Residency Visa Options


Australia provides a range of other options to apply for a permanent residency visa. 


Depending on the requirements and eligibility, you can pick the best option. Here are two other popular Visa options to obtain PR in Australia:


  • Business or Investment-stream Permanent Residence Visa: This visa category is mainly designed for individuals ready to invest in Australia for business or commercial purposes. You need to hold the provisional visa (subclass 188) for a minimum of one year and satisfy the financial criteria to be eligible to apply for PR under this stream.




Now that you know everything about how to get a Permanent Residency in Australia, you can follow the above points carefully and start with the application process, keeping in mind all the essential details.


Useful Topics to Explore:

⇒ Top 14 Courses That Can Lead to PR in Australia
⇒ Australian Grading System Explained: A Complete Guide
⇒ Top 24 + Student Discounts in Australia
⇒ Transport Modes in Australia
⇒ Top 18 Ways To Make Money Online In Australia: Explained
⇒ Top Aussie Slang Words (Accent)

Please Subscribe to our Newsletter