What Are My Options After Graduation In Australia?

(677 Votes, Average 4.7 out of 5)

Students want to know their options after graduation from university in Australia and how long they can stay to get PR.


After completing your studies in Australia, you have various options available. You can choose to stay in Australia or head back home.


You can either continue studying to pursue a higher qualification or take up post-study work. It will help you gain work experience in Australia and utilise newly acquired knowledge. You can also go back home, further study or work there.


If you decide to work or pursue further study in Australia, you'll have to check whether your visa allows you to do so. If not, you'll need to apply for a new visa. Visit the Department of Home Affairs website to see your available options and to check your visa conditions. 


No matter what decision you choose to make, join your institution's alumni group. It will help you keep in touch with your classmates and provide excellent benefits and opportunities. 


If you are an international student about to complete your studies in Australia and wondering what to do next, read this post to know your available options.



Option 1: Complete Your Further Education in Australia


After graduation, many international students stay in Australia and continue their studies to acquire a higher degree. Studying in Australia will allow you to make the most of your time in Australia and gain advanced skills and knowledge to get a job in the field of your choice. 


If you decide to continue your studies in Australia, consider the following:


  • Apply for a new Student visa before the current one expires.

  • Apply for the course you want to study.

  • Make sure you have enough money to pay for your living expenses and studies.

  • Extend your OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover).



Option 2: Stay Longer In Australia


If you have no plans on continuing further studies, you can extend your stay in Australia to either work or travel around. You may not be eligible for a student visa, but you can apply for other temporary visa options. To get more information, you can visit the Department of Home Affairs


You may wish to stay longer in Australia for the following reasons:


  • Enhance Your Skills In Australia: You can apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) if you wish to stay in Australia. Improving your English Language skills, travelling or gaining work experience is excellent. The Subclass 485 visa allows you to stay in Australia for 18 months. It is a perfect option for international students who want to stay in Australia for a while and attain Australian permanent residency. 


  • Under the post-study work stream of this visa, students are allowed to complete their doctoral, master's and bachelor's degrees to stay in Australia and obtain work experience. Students who complete their PhD are eligible for a 4-year work visa. In contrast, students who complete their master's and bachelor's degree can apply for a 3-year international student work visa. 


  • Keep Working For Your Current Employer In Australia: If your employer is ready to sponsor you via the migration program, you can permanently or temporarily live in Australia. This is also a great pathway to permanent residency in Australia.


  • Obtain Professional Work Experience In Australia: International students in Australia who have completed their graduation in computer scienceengineering and accounting are eligible to apply for a PYP (Professional Year Program). This one-year program aims to increase international graduates' employability skills through work and study experience. PYP is perfect for students who wish to get an Australian permanent residency. After completing a professional year in Australia, candidates can earn up to 5 points in the skilled migrant visa points test. 


  • Travel in Australia: Immediately after completing their studies, international students usually want a break before finding a job or returning to their home country. Australia boasts beautiful places that you can explore after finishing your studies. You can apply for a Tourist Visa that allows you to stay in the country for three, six or a maximum of twelve months. You can also work in Australia to gather funds for your travel. To do so, you can apply for a Work and Holiday Visa


  • Get a Working Holiday Visa: People between 18 to 30 can apply for a Work and Holiday Visa, which allows them to work and travel in Australia for 12 months. Remember, you must have a passport from an eligible country to apply for this visa. To get more information, visit Australia's Department of Home Affairs



  • Participate In Your Graduation Ceremony: Many international students want to stay in Australia to attend their graduation ceremony. You can apply for a tourist visa to extend your stay in Australia. Also, various educational institutions in Australia conduct graduation ceremonies overseas. This allows some international students to attend the graduation ceremony in their home country. 



Option 4: Apply For Permanent Residency In Australia


Once international students complete their studies in Australia, they wish to obtain a Permanent Residency to grab work opportunities and permanently live in Australia. 


You can apply for an Australian PR for international students through the options mentioned below:



Applying for permanent residency after a student visa in Australia involves several steps that can get confusing. To receive all the details and get updated information, it's crucial that you thoroughly research your options. For more details, visit the Australian Department of Home Affairs.



Option 5: Return To Your Home Country 


If you have no plans of working, travelling or living in Australia after completing your studies, you must return to your home country. Moving back and packing everything can be difficult, especially after living in Australia for years. 


You might have to sell all the large items you can't take back home, pay the final bills, and end your lease if you've rented a place. Further, you must hand back the keys and cancel all your services, including mobile phone accounts, electricity and bank accounts. 


Many Australian educational institutions run seminars or information sessions on returning home and adjusting to life outside Australia. Get in touch with your institution's international student support staff for more information.


Useful Links to Explore:

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Please Subscribe to our Newsletter